Yes, yes it does. However, waxing hurts when it's being done, not after. The pain is similar to the sensation to being burned for a second. It takes about 10-15 seconds for the pain to fade after each pull. Many of our clients find the brief pain of a wax to be preferable to the irritation caused by shaving. By the time you walk out, you should feel slightly tender and tingly. Your first time getting it done is the most painful. Maintenance visits are considerably less uncomfortable. This is due the hair growing in finer, softer, and thinner and re-waxing it before it fully grows back.
It should hurt. We are pulling hair from deep within your follicles at the ROOT, which are attached to nerve endings. There are no numbing creams or techniques that can make the damage to your nerve endings go away. What CAN happen in a painless wax is breaking of the hair. If a removal is performed improperly, hair can break inside the follicle, which is not very painful except for the sting when the wax is ripped off the skin. But if waxing is done right, hair is removed from the root and it hurts. Briefly. When it's broken, it grows back very fast and there is a higher probability that the broken shaft will get stuck and turn into an ingrown. Sometimes, even in a good wax, broken hair can still happen. We do everything we can to avoid that outcome and minimize hair breakage. We do this by pulling the hair in the correct directions and pulling strips off parallel to the skin which minimizes damage.
We are 110% sanitary! We adhere to both Universal Precautions and Standard Precautions as recommended by the CDC and OSHA. In our treatment rooms, all surfaces and fabrics are sanitized and used one time for each client. We use gloves when touching you. We hand wash using Hibiclens, a surgical hand cleanser. All reusable implements are washed and immersed in barbicide or sprayed with cavicide between clients. All disposable implements come out of sterile packaging and are thrown away after use. We never contaminate our wax by double dipping wax applicators (touching you and then touching the wax). Everything is sprayed with barbicide between clients (door knobs, handles, lights, etc). Fabrics are washed with bleach. We take your health and our health very seriously and we are full disclosure when it comes to how we maintain sanitation in our spa.
Everyone is different. You will begin to see new hair growth somewhere between 1.5 weeks and 2.5 weeks. You need four weeks before you can wax again. Although, it is not like shaving where the hair grows back in the next day, coarse and rough. You are growing brand new hairs. They come in fine-tipped, softer, and thinner. You will feel more than see the new growth when it first comes in.
It can give that appearance. With repeated waxes, all the hair growth gets on a similar growth pattern. And it makes it seem like not as much hair is growing. You can't truly stop the hair from growing with waxing. Some people have experienced hair loss. However, that is rare.
No. Shaved hair is cut and therefore has a blunt edge. When it regrows, it tends to scratch and cause irritation in those tender areas. Waxed hair is a brand new hair. It is soft and does not bother the skin.
Ingrowns are common with both waxing and shaving. Many people find that shaving causes more ingrowns (because of the irritation) but ingrowns can happen with waxing as well when the hair curls in on itself. Following post-service procedure helps to minimize ingrowns. Your technician can also manage them when you come in for your service. If you still experience them even with home care and technician maintenance, there are after-shave type products that we can get for you to use at home.
We recommend exfoliating in the shower before your appointment. A slight amount of moisturizer is okay as well. Wear soft, loose-fitting clothing to your appointment. We don't recommend working out after your wax.
It is common for clients take pain relievers such as ibuprofen before their appointment. However, we are not doctors and can not legally give advice on any type of medications (prescription or OTC). Sorry.
To ensure maximum comfort and benefit after the treatment, it is important to follow the steps below at home:
• Avoid applying heat to the waxed area for 12 to 24 hours. This includes hot baths, sauna, and steam.
• Use an anti-acne lotion for face, back and chest following the treatment and twice a day until breakouts are gone. Use only an anti-acne product recommended by your skin care professional.
• Avoid suntanning for 12 to 24 hours. This includes any strong ultraviolet (UV) light exposure or tanning bed treatments.
• Avoid applying highly fragranced products to the waxed area. This includes, perfume, scented body lotions, anti-perspirants, cosmetics, or feminine hygiene sprays. Only use professional products, recommended to you by the skin care therapist who performed the waxing service
• Avoid using harsh abrasive or exfoliates in the waxed area. However if you are prone to in-grown hairs, the day after your waxing treatment, exfoliate newly waxed area with a loofah to avoid future problems.
• Avoid applying high SPF sunblocks to the waxed area for 12-24 hours after the waxing service. Sunscreen chemicals can be irritating to the newly waxed skin. This includes self-tanning products and tan accelerators.
• Any pinking of the skin should disappear within 6 to 8 hours after the waxing treatment. Slight pinking is normal, and indicates that the hair was removed from the root, rather than superficially broken off, as in shaving. This is the reason that professional waxing lasts so much longer.
For best results, repeat your professional waxing every 4 to 6 weeks depending on the area and your individual hair growth rate.
If you have any questions about your waxing service or after care at home, please do not hesitate to call your skin care therapist.
Bella Mer is a by appointment only spa and we are unable to accept walk-in appointments or visits. You can book same day and future appointment here on our website as well as purchase gift certificates digitally, and cancel or move appointments.
We look forward to pampering you!